- About Us
The International Association for Great Lakes Research (IAGLR) is a scientific organization made up of researchers studying the Laurentian Great Lakes, other large lakes of the world, and their watersheds, as well as those with an interest in such research. Specifically, we
- promote all aspects of large lakes research; and
- communicate research findings through publications and meetings.
To support these objectives, we engage in four main activities every year:
- We hold an Annual Meeting and Conference: Our conference, whose location alternates each year between a Canadian and United States site, is attended by hundreds of scientists and other professionals from a wide variety of disciplines. Our program includes technical sessions with both oral and poster presentations, plenary sessions with internationally recognized keynote speakers, a trade show, and workshops on a variety of topics. We also hold an annual business luncheon for the association, a banquet, and several other social functions where you can meet with colleagues, old and new.
- We publish four issues of the Journal of Great Lakes Research annually: Our journal is a top-quality, peer-reviewed, scientific journal published since 1975. We consider papers on a wide variety of topics, from eutrophication to exotic species, geomorphology to global warming effects. What these papers have in common is their relevance to large lakes of the world. A new issue of JGLR comes out about every three months, and additional special journal issues are published periodically.
- We give out several Awards: For many years, IAGLR has been recognizing excellence in Great Lakes science by giving out prestigious awards. We award students for top-notch presentations at our annual conference, and professionals for excellence in our journal, and for outstanding contributions towards the achievement of IAGLR's goals.
- We issue Scholarships: Since 1987 IAGLR has been able to give out scholarships to students showing great promise early in their research careers. Presently we offer the IAGLR Scholarship, the Norman S. Baldwin Fishery Science Scholarship and the Paul W. Rodgers Scholarship to deserving students.